Post-Brexit Travel Updates


Brexit has had a significant impact on travel between the UK and EU countries. With the UK no longer being a part of the EU, there have been several changes to the way people travel, and it can be challenging to keep up with the latest updates. In this article, we will cover the latest post-Brexit travel updates for travel between the UK and EU countries.


One of the most noticeable changes after Brexit is that UK citizens can no longer use their EU passports to travel. 

If you have an EU passport, you will now need to use your UK passport to travel to EU countries. 

Additionally, your passport must have at least six months of validity left to travel to EU countries.

Visa Requirements

Another significant change is that UK citizens can no longer travel to EU countries without a visa. However, the EU has granted visa-free travel to UK citizens for up to 90 days in a 180-day period. 

This means that you can travel to EU countries for up to 90 days without a visa, as long as you have a valid passport.

Health Insurance

One of the most important things to consider when traveling to EU countries is health insurance. Before Brexit, UK citizens could use their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to receive medical treatment in EU countries. 

However, since the EHIC is no longer valid, you will need to purchase travel insurance that covers medical treatment in EU countries. Make sure that you check the terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy to ensure that it covers all your medical needs.


If you plan to drive in EU countries, you will need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP). 

UK driving licenses are no longer valid in EU countries, and an IDP is required to drive legally. You can apply for an IDP from the Post Office, and it costs £5.50.

Mobile Roaming

Before Brexit, UK citizens could use their mobile phones in EU countries without incurring any additional charges. 

However, since Brexit, mobile roaming charges may apply. Make sure that you check with your mobile network provider to see what charges apply when using your phone in EU countries.

Pet Travel

If you plan to travel with your pet, you will need to follow new rules when traveling to EU countries. 

Your pet will now need to have a pet passport, which includes information about your pet’s vaccinations and health status. You will also need to have your pet microchipped to travel.


Q: Do I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

A: No, you generally don’t need a visa for short trips to most EU countries. As a UK citizen, you can stay in the Schengen Area (including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland) for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. However, exceptions exist for specific countries and longer stays.

Q: Which EU countries have different visa requirements?

A: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, and Romania have separate visa requirements from the Schengen Area. It’s crucial to check with their respective embassies for specific regulations.

Q: What are the exceptions to the 90-day rule?

A: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, and Romania: Visits to these countries don’t count towards the Schengen Area limit, but individual visa requirements might apply. Check with their respective embassies for details.

Long stays: If you plan to stay in an EU country for more than 90 days, you likely need a specific visa depending on your purpose (work, study, etc.). Contact the relevant embassy or consulate for information.

Q: What about the new ETIAS system?

A: The European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) is expected to be implemented in 2025. Similar to the US ESTA, it will likely require online authorization for UK travelers visiting the Schengen Area for tourism, business, or transit purposes. Stay updated through official EU channels for details and application procedures.

Q: What are the passport requirements for travel to the EU?

A: Ensure your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your intended departure date from the EU.

Renew your passport well in advance if it’s nearing expiry or has less than six months of validity remaining.

Q: What are the border control procedures after Brexit?

A: Separate lanes: UK citizens no longer use EU/EEA citizen lanes. Use the designated lanes for non-EU countries.

Entry/Exit stamps: Be prepared for passport stamps upon entry and exit, unless you’re a family member of an EU citizen residing in the EU.

Additional checks: Border officials might request proof of accommodation, a return ticket, and sufficient financial resources.

Q: Do I still need an EHIC card for healthcare?

A: While the EHIC is still valid until the full implementation of the GHIC, purchasing comprehensive travel insurance is highly recommended. 

The EHIC/GHIC might not cover everything, so ensure adequate coverage for medical emergencies.

Q: What about mobile roaming charges and driving in the EU?

A: Mobile roaming charges within the EU no longer apply to UK mobile phone users. However, check with your network operator for any potential charges or limitations.

A valid UK driving license is still recognized in most EU countries. An International Driving Permit (IDP) is recommended in some cases, particularly for car rentals and specific countries. Check the official government websites of your chosen destinations for details.

Q: Do I still need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

A: While the EHIC is still valid until its replacement, the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), is fully operational, purchasing comprehensive travel insurance is highly recommended for full medical coverage during your trip.


In conclusion, Brexit has brought about several changes to travel between the UK and EU countries. 

From passports to visas, health insurance to driving, and mobile roaming to pet travel, there are many things to consider when planning a trip. 

Make sure that you check the latest updates before you travel to ensure that you have all the necessary documents and coverage. 

With proper planning and preparation, you can still enjoy traveling to EU countries post-Brexit.

To read more, Click Here

About the author

Areeb annan

Add Comment

Get in touch

Content and images available on this website is supplied by contributors. As such we do not hold or accept liability for the content, views or references used. For any complaints please contact Use of this website signifies your agreement to our terms of use. We do our best to ensure that all information on the Website is accurate. If you find any inaccurate information on the Website please us know by sending an email to and we will correct it, where we agree, as soon as practicable. We do not accept liability for any user-generated or user submitted content – if there are any copyright violations please notify us at – any media used will be removed providing proof of content ownership can be provided. For any DMCA requests under the digital millennium copyright act Please contact: with the subject DMCA Request.